Pages

Friday, October 9, 2009

My Home Design Personality

My Style: Country Casual

My home expresses my open, easygoing approach to life. I love unique finds, and can turn a few mismatched garden chairs or floral teacups into a charming arrangement. I appreciate a pretty mix of relaxed pieces, like painted wood or weathered furniture, lovely florals and other patterns, lots of throws and pillows, mementos and bunches of fresh flowers that give my home a unique sense of breeziness and charm.

I value comfort. My home is a warm and open friendly place, and I feel happiest when everyone is cared for and relaxed in my space. Elements like pillows, throws, overstuffed furniture, and good lighting set the mood. I also enjoy layering different fabrics or mixing patterns to create a cozy effect.

Putting My Style to Work!

With my style and needs in mind, here are a few tips that will help me make my home a little happier.

1. Your Design Challenge: MAXIMIZE Design is all about tricks, and with small spaces, the game is to literally trick the eye. Mirrors obviously expand a sense of space, and if possible, place them across from windows so they pick up the light and the outdoors. Leggy furniture gives the illusion of more space, as you can see under it. And, a mix of upholstered and non-upholstered pieces also makes a room feel less dense. Multi-tasking furniture, like a dining table pushed against the wall—can be a desk by day and gets pulled out for dinner parties. Or a bedside table big enough to accommodate a chair and function as a desk.

2. My Happy Place I can make my bath like my own private spa, an escape from the world! Every useful thing can be beautiful—from the soap dish and toothbrush cup to a pretty jar for cotton balls and a plush, new set of matching towels (white is the most calming and spa-like). I deserve this! Using trays for corralling perfumes and bowls or cups for makeup will make things look organized and attractive. A really lovely idea is to include some real furniture like a little lamp or a stool for setting towels or even a comfy chair by the tub!

3. Be Party-Ready All the Time! Mood: Nice, flattering light makes us feel good. Think the soft glow from floor and table lamps. Also, some votive candles and a couple of hurricane lanterns set around the room.

Scent: The first thing I notice about a home is how it smells. Like naturally fragrant cleaning products. If I find a scented candle or fresh potpourri I love, I stock up on it. Any scent I like, whether perfume or linen spray, can be used on upholstery, bedding or just spritzed into the air.

Food: Keeping my pantry stocked would enable me to serve food instantly!

No comments:

Post a Comment