Tuesday, January 19, 2010
According to egodevelopment.com there are seven (7) ways to boost your self-esteem (easy-to-do choices - by the way!)
1. Make a list of your strengths/positive attributes. Grab pen and paper and start listing all of the strengths you have. Include skills (fast reader, good cook, great listener, etc.), attributes you possess (dark green eyes, nice hands, etc.). Even include what others have said about you. You don't have to agree with them. For example if someone said your handwriting is pretty-write that down. After all, the opinions of others are just as valid, aren't they? Ask friends, family and colleagues to name three positive things about you and include these on your list. Take a few days to do this exercise. You'll be surprised at the results!
2. Learn to accept compliments. Do you feel awkward when others compliment you? Do you minimize them or find it difficult to know what to say in response to the compliment? If so, it's time to practice receiving compliments! If someone compliments you, simply say "Thank you" and smile back. Do not discredit their kindness by saying "This old dress" or "I usually mess up". Receive the compliment and then take pleasure in it. This will be difficult at first, but it becomes easier as you practice it.
3. Stop Apologizing! Are you always saying "I'm sorry"? People with low self-esteem often have a habit of apologizing for themselves all the time. Sorry to bother you, sorry I'd like your attention. Stop! You are worthy of being who you are-no regrets. Instead of "I'm sorry" begin smiling at people-it's much more positive!
4. Try new things. If your self-esteem is low, chances are you avoid trying new things and meeting new people. This only reinforces your negative opinion of yourself. Instead break out of the mold (one baby-step at time) and get out there! Take up a new hobby, begin a sport, get a gym membership or try a new recipe and invite some friends over.
5. Spend time with people who help you feel good about yourself. This really is important to do! People with low self-esteem will often allow themselves to be used, bullied or abused. They behave like doormats by allowing others to order them around and take advantage of them. They may also seek out others that are negative about life. If you are being pushed around by someone-say "NO"! Choose to spend time with others you enjoy and spend less time with those that don't contribute to your well being. If you are in a destructive or abusive relationship, get out or seek professional help. Audit your relationships. Stop spending time and energy on people who bring nothing positive to your life! It's your choice after all!
6. Smile at others-and look them in the eye. People who lack confidence often avoid eye contact and look down. Instead look up and make eye contact! Smile and say "hi". Most people will smile back and the friendly response will feel good. This may seem like a small thing to do-but these positive interactions will pay off BIG!
7. Be aware of your body language and presentation. Stand up straight. Pull your shoulders back and get your head up. A straight posture says a lot about you (so much better than a stooped over body). You are worthy of the space you occupy. Put your best foot forward by also dressing neat and clean. Your grooming say a lot about you-even before you open your mouth to speak!
Friday, January 15, 2010
Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and respect starts this Friday - and continues each and every Friday until the troops all come home, sending a deafening message that.. Every red-blooded American who supports our men and women afar will wear something red.
By word of mouth, press, TV -- let's make the United States on every Friday a sea of red much like a homecoming football game in the bleachers.
If every one of us who loves this country will share this with acquaintances, co-workers, friends, and family. It will not be long before the USA is covered in RED.
The first thing a soldier says when asked 'What can we do to make things better for you?' is.....We need your support and your prayers.
Let's get the word out and lead with class and dignity.
As we tackle the lofty goal of cooking and eating from the pantry, a concern has arisen. Don’t worry, I share it, too.
What if I can’t refill my pantry at the end of the month and still stay under budget?
What if? What if you have to pay full pop for some items come February because you’ve used up all your reserves and haven’t been constantly buying. What if you miss some great deals this month or just this week because you’re using up what you have? It could happen, couldn’t it? What if?
Well, here are a few things to consider:
- The Six Week Cycle - Manufacturers and grocery stores offer items on sale every 6 weeks or so. Chances are if chicken breast is on sale this week, it will be on sale again sometime in the next 6 weeks. It’s not a once-a-year opportunity. Good deals can be had almost all the time. Sure, some deals are better than others. But, usually, if you keep your eye on the sales, you will find some good sale prices sooner or later.
- Stock Rotation - A good grocery store practices this all the time. When they restock the shelves, they move the current stock to the front and place new items in the back. This is called “rotating the stock” and ensures that food is bought and used before it goes bad. You should be doing this in your own kitchen. Use up things that have been there awhile. A good deal is no good deal if it rots before you can use it. And while canned goods don’t necessarily “rot,” they do lose texture and quality over time. So make sure you’re using up what you have.
- Creativity – Sometimes it’s really good to get your creative juices flowing and see how far you can stretch things. You’d be amazed at how easy it is to make a huge pot of soup from very few ingredients. Necessity is the mother of invention. Sometimes we find our best solutions when we’re pushed beyond our comfort zones. Cooking from what you have may help you discover some menus your family will adore.
- Enough is as Good as a Feast – Having enough really is as good as the excess to which we’ve become accustomed.
Do It Your Way
The most important thing to remember is that you get to set your own goals this month. Maybe you’ll still allow yourself to pick up the good deals, but you’re going to focus on what you already have? Maybe you want to be Mother Hubbard (with a bare cupboard) on January 31 and are happy to start fresh come February 1st. Maybe you’ll limit yourself to buying a few items that you know you will want in the coming months. You get to choose!
And, while I have some of the same fear that I will “miss a good deal,” I know from experience that good deals are plentiful. Obviously, I’m still going to grocery shop in January but I’m going to focus on what we have and try to reduce my grocery spending in January.
Are ya with me?
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Sunday, January 10, 2010
SHINE YOUR SINK
I am not the originator of shining the sink, that declaration came from the famous FlyLady. Most of you know her and if you are like me you have a love-hate relationship with her and her demands. But we all know she just wants the best for us and I think she is so wise. Some of the best advice she’s ever given is to shine the kitchen sink. Read all about the how and why here.
Trust me, it’s well worth the few minutes it takes and once it’s clean, you won’t want it to get dirty again. It’s like magic. Once you spend the time to really clean your sink then you become obsessed with drying it out all the time. And that last step–adding the lemon oil–it’s my favorite part.
Do you shine your sink?
Sunday, January 3, 2010
Your Love Score Is: 75It's truly love. You have an amazing partner and a wonderful relationship.
Your relationship isn't perfect, but you know how to work with each other to make it better.
You both listen to one another, give freely, and do your best to make things work.
While you have ups and downs like any other couple, you're good at getting through the bad times together.
And although you find it easy to love your partner, you understand that lasting love doesn't come easily.
You are both willing to give this relationship everything you have. And luckily, that's all it takes to make it work.
You Are a Coconut Flavored PopsicleYou are easygoing. For you, summer is definitely a time to kick back.
You are a peaceful soul. You shy away from drama and stress.
You are a warm and compassionate. You give everyone a fair chance.
Your tastes tend to be simple. You rather have a few high quality items than a bunch of junk.
You Are a Seeker SoulYou are on a quest for knowledge and life challenges.
You love to be curious and ask a ton of questions.
Since you know so much, you make for an interesting conversationalist.
Mentally alert, you can outwit almost anyone (and have fun doing it!).
Very introspective, you can be silently critical of others.
And your quiet nature makes it difficult for people to get to know you.
You see yourself as a philosopher, and you take everything philosophically.
Your main talent is expressing and communicating ideas.
Souls you are most compatible with: Hunter Soul and Visionary Soul
You Have Your Sarcastic MomentsWhile you're not sarcastic at all times, you definitely have a cynical edge.
In your opinion, not all people are annoying. Some are dead!
And although you do have your genuine moments, you can't help getting your zingers in.
Some people might be a little hurt by your sarcasm, but it's more likely they think you're hilarious.
You Are a SculptureYou have a good perspective on life. You are able to look at things from all angles.
You are ambitious. You are willing to take on a difficult, arduous project.
You that art should be big and bold. You appreciate art that dominates the space.
The best art is the piece in the room that you notice first.
You Were an Outgoing KidWhen you were a kid, you had no problem expressing yourself.
There's a good chance you started talking early - and never stopped!
You had a lot of friends, and unlike most kids, you weren't shy around adults.
You were well adjusted and confident. You enjoyed speaking up and participating.
Your Ego is Very SmallYou don't have a high opinion of yourself. You're happy with who you are, but you don't feel special.
You believe you're just like everyone else. You aren't more unique or more deserving.
While it's good to be humble, make sure you don't sell yourself short.
You may not have a superiority complex, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to better yourself.
You are Energetic and BrightYou view people with optimism. You have many meaningful relationships in your life.
You had more conflict with your father than your mother. Your relationship with him was difficult and possibly unhealthy.
You don't deal with stress well. Even moderately stressful events tend to send you in a tailspin.
You are a natural multitasker. You enjoy being busy, even if the amount of things you need to do is overwhelming.
Your Aura is BlueSpiritual and calm, you tend to live a quiet but enriching life.
You are very giving of yourself. And it's hard for you to let go of relationships.
The purpose of your life: showing love to other people
Famous blues include: Angelina Jolie, the Dali Lama, Oprah
Careers for you to try: Psychic, Peace Corps Volunteer, Counselor
Your Heart Is OrangeLove equals unbridled happiness for you. You enjoy the wild ride of falling in love.
And while the ride is fun for a while, you always get off once the thrill is gone.
Your flirting style: Hyper
Your lucky first date: Anything you need your passport for!
Your dream lover: Is both daring and well grounded
What you bring to relationships: Energy
You Are 36% ShyYou are slightly shy, but overall, your reactions to social situations are normal.
You dread difficult social situations, but you still handle them with grace.
In fact, no one but your closest friends has any idea that you're actually shy.
You do your best to break out of your shell. You are confident and friendly.
Your Sensuality Score is: 80%You taste, smell, feel, see, and hear more strongly than most people.
Even the smallest sensual act can be quite divine for you.
You are a hedonist. You like to experience it all... whether it's food, art, or music.
If you're not careful, you're apt to overindulge or get addicted to a certain pleasure.
You Follow Your HeartYou're romantic, sentimental, and emotional.
You tend to fall in (and out of) love very quickly.
Some may call you fickle, but you can't help where your emotions take you.
You've definitely broken a few hearts, but you're not a heartbreaker by nature.
Your intentions are always good, even if they change with the wind
You Are Cherry Kiss Lip GlossYou're a total girly girl who's every guy is sweet on.
You take pleasure in the simple things in life, from cute t-shirts to stuffed animals.
Any guy needs to match your romantic idealism to win your heart, which is why few have.
No wonder Cherry your signature flavor. It's delicious, sugary, and fun - like you!
You Are SaturdayLike this day of the week, you are ruled by Saturn.
More than anything, you are down to earth.
You are practical and wise. You take care of yourself before all others.
Sometimes you tend to be a bit suspicious. You are protective of what you have.
While some people see Saturday as a day of leisure, you see it as a day to get things done.
You always look forward to your productive Saturdays. You wouldn't have them any other way!
You Are a Total ProcrastinatorIf you can put a task off, you will. You hate doing chores and work.
Almost all of your tasks get done late, if they even get done at all.
You often find life overwhelming and stressful. You feel like you'll never get everything done.
You spend more time worrying about your responsibilities than taking care of them.
It's likely that you procrastinate because you have too much to do... or aren't doing the right things.
Learn how to let go of what's trivial and focus on what matters. Do the important stuff right now!
You Should Be a Romance NovelistYou see the world as it should be, and this goes double for all matters of the heart.
You can find the romance in any situation, and you would make a talented romance story writer...
And while you may be a traditional romantic, you're just as likely to be drawn to quirky or dark love stories.
As long as it deals with infatuation, heartbreak, and soulmates - you could write it.
Your Ideas Are GreenWhen you think, you think on a global scale. You have a very broad view.
You never forget that we are all interconnected, and you're concerned with the impact of your actions.
Your ideas tend to revolve around how to make the world a better place. You are very socially conscious.
You tend to dream big but think small. You like ideas that you can immediately put into action.
You Are the ArtistYou are unique and inspired. You aren't happy unless you are making art of some sort.
Almost anything can be a catalyst for your creativity. You find the whole world stimulating.
You have beautiful visions, and you're good at expressing them. You like people to see what you see.
You also have an inventor's spirit. You're always thinking up new ideas and concepts.
Your Inner Child Is ScaredLike a kid, you tend to shy away from new experiences.
You prefer what's tried and true - novelty is scary!
New foods, new places, and new friends are difficult for you to deal with.
Some say you're predictable, but you enjoy being comfortable.
You Are a RealistYou don't see the glass as half empty or half full. You see what's exactly in the glass.
You never try to make a bad situation seem better than it is...
But you also never sabotage any good things you have going on.
You are brutally honest in your assessments of situations - and this always seems to help you cope.
You Are Pretty HappyYou generally have a happy, fulfilling life.
But things could be a little better, and deep down, you know it.
Maybe you need more supportive friends or a more challenging career.
Something is preventing you from being totally happy. You just need to figure out what it is!
You Need Some Green in Your Life
| Green will make you feel alive, renewed, and balanced.|
And with a little green, you will project an aura of peacefulness and harmony.
If you want stability, you've got to get a little green in your life!
For extra punch: Combine green with blue or purple
The downside of green: It can promote jealousy in yourself or others
The consequences of more green in your life:
You will be drawn to a new life path
You will feel free to pursue new ideas and interests, no matter how strange
You will be released from the demands and concerns of others
You Are Fantasy / Sci FiYou have an amazing imagination, and in your mind, all things are possible.
You are open minded, and you find the future exciting. You crave novelty and progress.
Compared to most people, you are quirky and even a bit eccentric. You have some wacky ideas.
And while you may be a bit off the wall, there's no denying how insightful and creative you are.
Your Dream Guy is EdwardYou are a true romantic, and for you, love is a very emotional and passionate thing.
You want to be wooed, charmed, and even seduced. You have old fashioned ideas about romance.
You don't mind being with a protective guy like Edward, as long as he has your best interests at heart.
You like being taken care of completely, even if things get a little intense at times.
You Are the PhilosopherYou love thinking things over and developing theories.
Learning is very important to you, and you pursue knowledge relentlessly.
You love to talk about the things you know, often in more detail than people would like to hear.
And you know a lot! You're always taking on new subjects, interests, and hobbies.
You are at your best when you are left alone to ponder your newest ideas and experiments.
You tend to withdraw from environments that are loud, contentious, or passionate.